No matter what skill level you are, web designers must understand several fundamentals of design to develop both appealing and effective designs. There are so many resources available for designers to educate themselves before jumping in. From online resources to in-person design classes, make sure you understand the basic principles of web design before using more advanced design techniques.
These fundamentals should be applied to every web design:
- Cancel Actions- It’s important to give visitors the ability to cancel out of what they’re doing at any time. For example, sign up forms for newsletters and e-mail lists should have a cancel button in case users change their mind. It’s important that businesses leave these aspects as optional. No user wants to be forced to do something they don’t want to do.
- Store Information- Allow users the option to register with your website for quicker check-out processes later on. This will help save the users’ time the next time around. Especially with websites that have extensive data fields, the site should offer users this optimizing tool.
- Avoid pop-ups- Pop-ups are very outdated methods of advertising. Not only will these ads irritate your users, but it will also slow down your site’s speed. It’s recommended to avoid this web design practice all together.
- Free software- Free software can help improve your web designs in a cost-effective manner. Many web designers think they need the fanciest and most expensive software to create great designs. This couldn’t be further from the truth! Use free software to save you money and up your design A game.
- Photoshop- One exception to free software is the program Photoshop. While this program may cost you some money, it’s worth it. This program creates beautiful graphics and high-quality images that’ll boost your web success.
Take these tips into consideration when starting out in the web design industry. These pointers from New York web design experts can help save you time and money in the long run.